Friday, April 20, 2012

It's all about the case - Welcome to Holland!

I have had more fun with this old suitcase than you can imagine.  First of all, it has given me something different to work on than my usual crafting projects, and secondly it has given me something to research.

I love to research - it is one of the main reasons I love to write.  I think in all honesty I love to research more than I love to write, but they are so solidly intertwined that it's hard to determine which is loved best.

It has been fun to look for clues to my suitcase's past.  I am no expert, but I'd be willing to state that this case is early 1900's - perhaps in the 1920's or so... which again is an era that I so love.  I did a lot of research about this era for my book WINTER WHEAT, which you can find here on my blog if you would like to read it.

The last part of research associated with this old suitcase was inspired by a second label on the side of the case.

Harwich
The Connections link
Hook of Holland.

I know nothing of Holland, except perhaps what I might have learned in school - certainly long forgotten now, so I had no idea what Hook of Holland was, or is.

So off to Holland we go.....

The only passenger route  between the UK and the Netherlands is by Ferry across the North Sea.  Like my old label states the route is from Harwich (UK) to Hook of Holland (Netherlands).   The Hook of Holland  (Hoek van Holland) is a town and port located on the North Sea Coast on the north bank of the Nieuwe Waterweg ship canal.  It is literally the corner of Holland.

The ferry service from Harwich to the Hook has been in operation since 1893.  It currently crosses four times a day taking anywhere from 6-9 hours, depending upon the tides and weather conditions.

1930 Harwich-Hook of Holland vessel
Today's Ferry.
 Hook of Holland is still an active thriving port, but it also is home to several Coastal Museums, some with history dating back to the early 1800's.

Here is what a present day luggage sticker would look like...


My old suitcase has taken me on quite a journey thus far.  Because of it I have learned many new things about many different places.  I love this kind of learning - it is the kind of which dreams are made.  Can you imagine the dreams that have been associated with my suitcase? 

If the case was used for business,  might there have been dreams of wealth and prosperity?  If it was used for personal travel - might the dreams have been for a relaxing vacation; a splendid honeymoon; a chance to visit with friends and relations?  What if the case was used for immigration (and it stands to reason that it was) might the dreams it carried be for a whole new life?

To me this suitcase is not just a covered wooden box with latches and a handle - it is someones hopes, dreams, aspirations - all contained in a covered wooden box with latches and a handle!

And now it will be my hopes, dreams and aspirations that it carries... how lucky I am!

Thanks for coming along on this journey with me...

Next week I'll tell you All about the Case - The Future! 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

HEALTH CRUNCH BREAD!

  A few weeks ago, I made a new bread recipe, I recorded a video on it as well, which I will link below if you are interested in watching it...